Thursday, September 15, 2011

Whole Wheat is BETTA!!!

I have been making our own bread  for several years and I prefer it so much more over the stores.  I know there are many good recipes out there, but this is my favorite.

First off:  Buy some wheat and grind it into flour.  I like to grind a bunch and freeze it. I use the Wondermill.  It is almost as awesome as the wonderbra....but you know........for wheat!  Or, you can just buy whole wheat flour at the store (although not AS good,,,,still sufficient).


 Now get yourself a mixer (Bosch, kitchenaid, etc) or steal one from your very awesome mother-in-law.  This recipe can be made by kneading the dough by hand, BUT.........you will get carpel-tunnel ............so get the mixer.



Now add 2 1/2 Tablespoons of yeast, 2/3 cup wheat gluten, 2/3 cup honey and 5 cups steaming hot tap water.  Mix it around for 10 seconds and then let it sit until it gets all bubbly---(like 3-5 minutes).

Then add 7 cups of whole wheat flour and mix for 1 minute.  Then cover and let it sit for 10 minutes while you go get 4-8 loaf pans out and sprayed with Pam.  In a measuring cup add 2/3 cup oil (I like to use olive oil cause its healthier) , 2 Tablespoons salt, and   2 1/2 Tablespoons bottled lemon juice.  Throw that mixture in and let it mix for 1 minute, then start adding the remaining 5 cups of whole wheat flour---one at a time while the mixer is going.  Then set the timer for 10 minutes and let it knead and knead and knead.  While it is kneading....preheat oven to 170 degrees.


Now spray your counter with Pam and throw that big pile of dough onto your counter.  Knead it for a sec and then cut it into 4 equal parts and shape into bread loaves.  Plop those dough piles into the loaf pans.  Put them in the preheated oven and then turn off the oven.  Watch those babies until they are nice a plump and overflowing----usually about 45 minutes.  Sometimes I have to start the oven again and turn it off...just so it is nice and warm in there.   Leave your bread in oven and turn the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.  After they are done baking, remove from pans and let them cool on rack.  Then double wrap in saran-rap and throw in your freezer.  OR, smother them with butta and eat some right then. 


While I am waiting for the first 4 loaves to rise in oven, I start my second batch.  Sometimes it has to rise at room temperature while the other 4 loaves are cooking, which is fine...it just might take a little longer, depending on how cool your house is.  But after all is said and done...............



You have 8 very delicious loaves of whole-wheat bread..............AND, your house smells awesome!!!

Healthymomlady Tip of the Day:  Eat whole wheat bread-----cause it is BETTA!!!

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this recipe! I made our bread for a long time, but then stopped cuz I couldn't find a recipe that I LOVED. Thanks for posting. I seriously love checking in on your blog. Glad your house isn't 150 degrees anymore, that had to be HORRIBLE!!

Susette said...

Hi Tawny! Thanks for the inspiration and step by step tutorial - it is so helpful for those of us who are, well, lacking in some areas of expertise;) (like making homemade bread) I love the taste and smell too, but have yet to find THAT recipe! Thanks, I am excited to try it too!

Post a Comment