Thursday, December 27, 2012

One By One

I had such a fun date with my daughter Lexi last night. It had been raining and snowing all day and the roads were a little icy, so we decided to have an "at home date".

Hubster and I take turns bringing each of the kids on a date every month so we can spend some individual time with them. It is such a great opportunity to just give that child all the attention and spoil them for a little while. I think of how the Savior took the children one by one and blessed them...and how we, as parents should try to do the same.....take our children one by one and bless them with our time and attention.

It gets a little trickier when you have a family as big as ours....but it is so worth the effort. Our dates are not super expensive or time consuming. They are mostly very simple. We have gone out to see a movie, eaten breakfast at IHOP or just drinking hot cocoa together on the deck at night while we talk. Sometimes we just head over to the custard shop for a little goody. Like I said, they are usually very simple, but the kids just love it and look forward to their appointed day each month.

So last night it was lexi's turn for a date with me. Since we didn't want to leave the house, we decided to do a little spa night. We filled up the tub a little and washed and scrubbed each others feet with bath salts. Then we painted each others toe nails and fingers nails. Then Lexi wanted to play beauty parlor and curl my hair with the iron......and she didn't even burn me.

It was such a simple activity, but so much fun for both of us. I am so thankful for my sweet children and for date night!

2 comments:

Linda Roylance said...

You are such a great example of an amazing parent! I really, really, really need to DO some of the things you post about! Samantha is already 13 and Nick is 16...is it too late? (Don't know if Jason would do one on one time, he's almost 21. lol) I do go to lunch with Jessica and my grandbaby Mazie every once in a while, but not often enough. They grow up so fast!

Tawny Stephens said...

My goodness Linda.....if anybody is the amazing parent...it's YOU! Your kids are so blessed to have you! One thing that has really helped us to actually do it....is every month on their birth-DATE we make time to spend with that child...even if it is only for a half hour. For example, Lexi was born September 26 th....so every month on the 26th she knows it is her special day. Sometimes it is just meeting them at school and eating lunch with them....or if it falls on a Sunday, we do something sabbath worthy...like just going for a walk together. I'm certain your kids are not too old. If they are too busy you could always just leave them a note or a treat in their car or something simple to let them know you were thinking of them.

Post a Comment